Dedicated on October 12, 1912, this monument commemorates the First Regiment of Michigan Engineers, which built bridges, roads and communication lines during the Civil War. The monument is made of granite and rests on a concrete base. It was paid for by surviving members of the regiment, their families and friends, and by the city of Lansing.
On the northwest side of the monument is a list of first and second lieutenants of the regiment, on the southeast side is a listing of colonels, lieutenant colonels, majors, surgeons, assistant surgeons, chaplains and captains. On the southwest side is a listing of the officers and executive committee of the First Regiment Michigan Engineers Veteran Associations - the associations that erected the memorial. On the northeast side is a plaque outlining the history of the regiment.Source: A Walking Tour of Capitol Square. Provided by: Capitol Tour Guide Services