Grand Army of the Republic
As noted on the plaque attached to the boulder, this memorial was erected by the Department of Michigan Women's Relief Corps on June 11, 1924, in memory of and dedicated to the men of the Grand Army of the Republic.
The Grand Army of the Republic and the women's auxiliary, the Department of Michigan Women's Relief Corps, was a patriotic organization of Union Civil War veterans. From its founding in 1866 until the turn of the century, the Grand Army of the Republic was an active force in serving Civil War veterans' needs, and played an active role in state and national politics. The Grand Army of the Republic was dissolved in 1956.Source: A Walking Tour of Capitol Square. Provided by: Capitol Tour Guide Services